Friday, February 22, 2013

Murder 101: Blog Introduction


mur·der mys·ter·y par·ty:
Noun.
A social event in which people make friends by lying, backstabbing, and murdering their enemies. Usually accompanied by cheesy costumes and decor.


It was a dark and stormy night. Despite the gloomy weather, the annual Blogger Gala proceeded quite cheerily inside Google Manor. Dancing, merriment, and the finest dresses abounded, when suddenly. . . VWOOMP! the lights were cut and Google Manor was left pitch black! Curious chatter filled the air as the lights almost immediately fizzled back to their bright settings. Turning around to find the source of the noise, Lady Blogspot found quite the shocking sight - Sir Google Plus had been murdered! At Lady Blogspot's shocked screech, the event's host stepped up to the microphone. . .



Hello there, everyone! Your fabulous blog host here. My name is Princessofherworld, and I am proud to present to you Party Until You Drop Dead (partyuntilyoudropdead.blogspot.com), a new resource for all things murder mystery. My current intention for this blog is to share my discoveries with other murder mystery enthusiasts, both seasoned and new alike. Posts you will see here include, but are not limited to, the following: Party reviews, theme ideas, menu ideas, crafts, invite templates, party commissions, simple themed costume ideas, overviews of parties I've hosted, and much, much more!

Now, let me set the scene for you all.
Fall. The year 2008. My friend's house. From the outside, this was a seemingly normal birthday like any other. Until the guests in odd costumes and decorative wings showed up, that is. From the day I secured my role as Guinevere, fiance of Arthur, and the pursued beauty of the land, my hobbying life was changed forever. In consequence of that fateful day, my other friends caught the murder mystery bug as well and began hosting parties that I also attended. Then, the light bulb went on. "Wait! I'm pretty creative. I like parties. I could write my own!" and thus, I scoured the internet for instructions or assistance like a raccoon in a trashcan. A very, very empty trashcan. Naturally, as murder mysteries are still slightly obscure, I was unable to find even the slightest hint of assistance in my mission. And so I set out on my own, riding my figurative unicorn into the figurative bloodstained sunset.

Now, 4 years and 7 parties hosted later, 4 of which were self-authored and one of which was a panel at a convention, I have come back to the same thoughts of sifting through an empty trashcan. Now, though, I'm on a mission to fill that trashcan with hopes that any other murder mystery raccoons out there might find a juicy steak of information to chew on. Or whatever raccoons eat.

And now, my final message of this post, in the immortal words of The Hunger Games (or Mockingjay):
"'Oh, no. It costs a lot more than your life. To murder innocent people?' says Peeta. 'It costs everything you are.'" - Peeta, Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay
Although, it really usually only costs about $40 +$10 for each additional character. Or the ancient amulet they've been searching for the whole game.


-Princessofherworld

No comments:

Post a Comment